Sunday, July 8, 2007

Three days in the making

Let my start by saying I love Japan. The past five days have been incredible. I really had no idea what to expect but this has surpassed anything I could have imagined. Japan has been one adventure right after another...

The campus is beautiful. Really green! There is a distinct smell, which I was told was from the humidity. There are trees everywhere ...and cats too. Crows make a lot of noise in the morning and the bugs are bigger. But generally everything else is smaller--cars, food servings, shelves in the grocery stores. The dorms are really nice, pretty big four room suites, each with a window leading to a balcony, a common room, kitchen, laundry/shower room, and bathroom. Our fridge is pretty well stocked with the essentials. Milk, OJ, yoghurt, and left over bento.

Friday we had a three hour placement exam in the morning. It wasn't too bad. We find our tomorrow our placement. I can't believe that I actually have class again. Byebye summer.

Saturday was the busiest day of my life. I don't think we'll be doing that again soon, but it was quite the experience. Left the dorm at 10:00am and took the bus and train to Shinjuku.


We walked around a bit and ate at a small noodle shop. You had to decide what you wanted from the plastic food examples outside at the front of the store, and then buy a ticket at a machine and hand that to the chef. He made it right before your eyes. My soba and fried veggies were really good, and pretty cheap too. It isn't impossible to find inexpensive food, you just have to look and compare prices a lot. Though, there are rarely vegetables in things. No one eats salad as a meal, and if you wanted to, it would be smothered in mayo. I've completely given up on trying to be vegetarian and have eaten a fair amount of fish and seafood. (...and I must admit, it's really good. sigh)

After eating we walked around a fair amount. We even crossed the busiest intersection in the world (you know, the one from Lost in Translation). Went window shopping and into a department store that apparently gets cheaper as the floors go up. I bought some nice postcards and a CatBus (think Totoro) keychain for my keys. We then walked to this beautiful park that had a waterfall with red ear slider turtles in the water surrounded by plants of all types. At the bottom there was a flea market where I bought a shirt for less than a dollar and a cute dress for $5 (photos soon, I promise). We walked to a temple with huge white stone archways and someone got her fortune told.

We walked around the main area of Shinjuku some more before heading towards Kabukicho. It was a smaller area with fewer tourists which was nice, though there were still a fair number of people milling around the streets shopping. We finally found Club Code on the fourth floor of this random building and went to a Hip Hop/Rap/Break-Dancing Competition that we had heard about the night before from performers who were practicing in the street near the arcade in Musashi-Sakai. We watched for a couple of hours and saw a few dance offs.


Next we went to the second largest Tanabata Festival in Hiratsuka, which was another hour or so away from where we were on the train. We stuffed our faces with everything from tako-yaki (octopus) to corn on the cob (which cost almost $4!!) to unagi on a stick (eel-my new favorite food, it melts in your mouth!!). It was a lot of fun wandering around in the masses of people, estimated over 3 million. The decorations were beautiful, paper of every color flying all over the place. The train ride home was a bit of an adventure because we had to make sure to get back to campus before it stopped running. We caught the last one in the nick of time and it took us around 2 and a half hours to get from the festival back to campus.


So let me recap: crossed the busiest street in the world at Shinjuku, explored a huge department store, romped around a public park, shopped at a flea market, visited a temple, watched a Hip Hop Dance competition, and experienced Tanabata. This was an amazing day. I probably walked for a total of ten miles too.

Today (Sunday) was much more chill. Slept in and took it easy. Walked around the area near ICU and ran some errands. Chatham cooked the most amazing walnut-mustard salmon with cabbage and carrots... It's raining right now and time for me to head to bed before 8:40am class. But rest assured that I am having a wonderful time and missing everyone from Pomona and Chicago. I wish you could be here with me.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Monica I'm so jealous!! That sounds amazing. You're making me want to go to Japan really badly now. I want to see pictures really soon!

There's not much to report on in Chicago...I got that job I really wanted, teaching health in public schools, so that was exciting. Other than that it's the same old stuff, play is coming along alright.

Good luck with class tomorrow. I miss you! I love you!

JK said...

catbus!!!!!!!! ahhhh!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

great post. i miss you! -wendy

Anonymous said...

MOOOnica-kun,

can i just say that i love you. Hai minh and I got something for you... won't tell you what it is, but, you'll like it. Oh and from now on i'm writing as my japanese alter ego.

-Kenpachi

haha said...

Hi Sweets,
Wow, How wonderful it is to see a picture of you there.. Wondering if J press covered the worldwide Concert??
Kisses and hugs..
Mom

sophia said...

you're lovely :)

Anonymous said...

i miss you but am so excited that you are sharing your experience on this blog! it sounds like things are off to a good start. i'm so proud of and happy for you!

LOVE.
-brown mama

Popeye said...

sounds awesome!

a bouncing ball said...

Thank you all so much! This trip has been really exciting so far, that's for sure. I'm going to try to update this blog two to three times a week.

Also, if any of you have skype let me know, cause then we can talk for free! Same name as this blog. (I just downloaded it, so I don't really know what I'm doing...)

Love,
abb

PS: I love the "Choose an identity" option for how to sign comments.