Tuesday, September 25, 2007

two months in the making

So I realize that I haven’t updated in a while… in a long while, almost two months. So here are the highlights (mostly in photo form) so I can get on with the present.

End of SCJ:
SCJ to Imperial Palace (August 2)
C-3 took a field trip to the Imperial Palace and endured Tokyo summer heat and humidity. I really loved my class and Senseis.We always had a great time while learning 新しい文法!


Ms. Higashi-Kogane Yukata Contest (August 7)
When George came to Japan went to an Obon-Matsuri in Higashi-Kogane and watched Laura compete in an amazing Ms. Yukata Contest. She went on stage in front of couple hundred people, introduced herself, explained her “point” or best feature, told a joke, and suggestively called one of the older male judges’ names—all in Japanese. She was amazing and looked beautiful!


Fuji-san (August 10-11)
Climbing Mt. Fuji was quite the experience—exhausting, aggregating, painful but one of the best things I have ever done. Sitting at the ninth station at four in the morning and watching the sun come up made the entire experience worth every drop of blood, sweat, and tear.



H-O-S-P-I-T-A-L (August 16)
Well, whether or not I really wanted to, I got my wish. I experienced a Japanese hospital. My body couldn't keep up with the constant pace of the end of the summer program so it told my mind to slow down. I learned so much in those six weeks and made many wonderful friendships and memories. Looking back, I have no regrets.



Summer Vacation
Row, row, row your boat
Sailed overnight to Hokkaido for summer vacation. Being sick on a boat, not the most fun thing in the world, but luckily I have amazing friends.


Hokkaido was the most wonderful experience. I had a fantastic host family that welcomed me as their daughter into their home. They were both really young, and amazing. The mom started her own company, which is still extremely rare for women in Japan, and continues to supervise it despite having a one year old. Instead, the dad took a year paternity leave to help raise his son, another huge rarity in Japan.


They were extremely generous and introduced me to another side of Japan I hadn’t realized existed. Everyday we went hiking in a different area—mountains, ocean shores, and countryside. We stayed one night in a cabin at the foot of a volcano and bathed in an individual onsen. The sky was always beautiful too.


We had a lot of fun exploring the city of Hakodate too. Rode in a rickshaw (人力車) all around the pier and tried on Victorian dresses in the old British consulate.



I also fell in love with Taiki-kun. When prompted, he would make a「僕大ちゃん」face and was the most well behaved 1½ year old I have ever met. He cried once during the entire two weeks and really likes tomatoes—so we were good friends.


Needlesss to say, I was really sad to have to leave Hokkaido…





Shoutout:
Cory!! Here is a special shot out because you think I don’t care about you since you’ve gone. And well, you got it all wrong. I had so much fun hanging out and getting to know you this summer. Honestly, SCJ would not have been the same without you. Every time we pass Shibuya Lauren and I look at each other and try to imitate you imitating the announcements. Crepes will never be the same. I miss you. I love you. Come back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You in that victorian dress is the most HILARIOUS thing I've ever seen!

Love,
n

You and Me said...

HEY
You're joining the koto club!!?
Say hi to Ai and Tarou and Mai and EVERYONE for ME!! I miss them a lot and had a lot of fun when we met this summer. And good luck with everything!! (They're working on hard stuff right now)

But, besides that...how're YOU DOING?!? It sounds like you're in a sweet town. I hope you find lots o' cool things.

I SAW ANIMAL COLLECTIVE IT WAS AMAZING AA RAAWWW RAAA HHH!!! BEST SHOW EVER IN MY LIEFFFEEEE!!!!

OOO!!! I checked Afrirampo's site and they JUST RELEASED A NEW ALBUM!!!! They're touring a bunch so check em out if ya want. just search 'afurirampo' in hiragana.

I hope yo'ure having an awesome time and good luck with everything you're doing and doing but don't know you're doing! (o_O?)

You and Me said...

Uh okay fuck so blogspot just deleted a huge message i wrote you with tons of feeling it in.


soooooooo.....

I cannot write it again. BUT I hope you're having fun!

I SAW ANIMAL COLLECTIVE AND IT WAS AEWESOMEMEOF RARWWRRRR BEST CONCERT EAERRVERRRR!!!!!

You're joining the koto club!??! Say hi to Ai-san and Tarou and Mai and Yuuko and EVERYONE FOR ME!! I had a really good time with them this summer!! And I wanna wish them good luck with everything they're doing right now!! (they're getting ready to do crazy stuff. you should ask ai about her sotsuron...^o^)

ANYWYAS how are you doinG?! It sounds like you're having an amazng time and Hokkaido was awesome. I'm glad!!

Afrirampo JUST RELAESED A NEW ALBUM THI SMONTH AND are going to be touring a LOT so go check em out if ya like. just search 'afuriranpo' in hiragana.

Soundsl ike you're in a cool town so I ope you have a good time and good luck with everything yo'ure doing and doing but don't know you're doing!!

You and Me said...

oh shit, so i just read the notice at the top of the page. so now i know it looked like it got dleted cuz it just hasn't been approved yet....sooo you can dlete one of those messages...or delete both of them...or delte this one...or keep all of them!

Popeye said...

lol to george.
also, i love your picturesss!